Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Thing #22- Social Networking

Now this is a web 2.0 tool that I know and love! Actually, my Facebook account is what has kept me from finishing my 23 things faster. Well, if truth be told my Facebook keeps me from doing many things. I often times "work" deals with myself...empty the dishwasher, play on facebook...cook dinner, play on facebook. See how this works.
I've had a Facebook account for about a year. During that year, I've reconnected with some past friends, kept up-to-date with current friends and made some connections between friends. All the social aspects of facebook have been easy for me to understand and use. I love posting pictures for our friends and out of town family.
As educators I think it is very important for us to understand the technology that our students are using. The report from the National School Boards Association illustrated several statistics that support the fact that today's students are actively using social networking at home. I feel like it is our responsibility as educators to teach students the correct and safe way to use all the technology available to them. If we don't teach them this, who will? They will use the technology without our guidance, but if we implement strategies and lessons to teach them how to use these tools for education we are bettering them and society.
I don't have the answer for exactly how to safely use social networking at school, but I do so the importance of having an open mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment