Monday, July 5, 2010

Thing #10

I'm like many others and find Copyright laws VERY CONFUSING!!! I certainly understand the importance and "try" not to violate them, however I'm certain I have so I'm confessing now. With that said, Creative Commons makes much more sense. Although I've never heard of it prior to this lesson, I can definitely see the impact this can have on education and especially teachers using technology in the classroom. I took some time to explore the OER Commons and the Content Directories. Both of these have a massive amount of information; you could spend days exploring.
As an assistant principal, I often find myself looking for articles are tidbits to share with teachers. This will definitely be a place to look. I did a search for classroom management and "Oh my gosh!" a ton of information is available!
The audio, video and images available in the Content directories would also be a great resource for teachers putting together presentations or lessons. I'll be sharing this will our staff for sure!!
One interesting side note. I have a 17 year old daughter who will be a senior this year. After learning about CC, I asked her if she had heard of it or had she been taught about Copyright laws. Her answer to both was "no". Somewhat disturbing since I know for a fact she uses the Internet/computers daily at school. Just something to ponder...

No comments:

Post a Comment