Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Thing #6

I will admit that the google reader is really cool, but it will take me time to learn to navigate all the information without getting overloaded. I found several edublogs that will be interesting to follow. I also found some "fun" links including a link to TMZ. I have to admit I enjoy a little trash TV.

Another blog I've subscribed to is Weblogg-ed by Will Richardson. As I mentioned earlier, I had the opportunity to hear Will Richardson speak at a session in the Fall. I know I'll enjoy reading his posts. A recent post http://weblogg-ed.com/2010/why-to-not-how-to/ got me thinking. Imagine that, all this reading now has me thinking. The question "Why?" is so much more powerful than "How?".
"I think that’s one of the first things I’d look for, people who are asking why. Why are we using blogs in the classroom? Why is this in the curriculum? Why are we making this decision? So much of the “how” stuff is figure-outable on our own that I wonder why we spend time on it."
I love this..."Why?" is a much better question. It makes so much sense, "Why?" is a higher order question, but so many times I've seen "Why?" be an offending question. Like, how dare you question the status quo, or my authority. We need to rethink the question "Why?". I'll start with my son, Luke, he LOVES the question, "Why?".












1 comment:

  1. hmmmmm - asking why more than how - that has me thinking now. I think I shall fall asleep thinking about that one tonight. It's good to see you in the class with me - I noticed a few of us that were at BJ Smith are together in this class. Cool huh?

    ReplyDelete