Thursday, June 17, 2010

Thing #2 Web 2.0

Again, I used writeboard to take notes about my learning. http://123.writeboard.com/993957586b29dced6/feed/e93527f8cbde49528d906cb54ba5bdcd

The Machine is us... what an interesting way to think about Web 2.0 I think it sums up learning, collaborating, sharing, exploring, playing and everything we do on the web.

More than 70% of US 4 year olds have a computer? So, are the remaining 30% children in poverty? According to the US census bureau Poverty rates in the US increased in 2008 to 13.2%. http://www.census.gov/prod/2009pubs/p60-236.pdf As national poverty rates increase, we must consider the implications of technology (or lack of it) in these homes. Will we be leaving an entire "class" of children behind?

As a future principal, I want to be able to answer the question, "How are you helping my child become literate in the 21st century?" I want to give honest and intelligent answers to parents that deserve a good response. I know a shift is occurring all around us. I want to be a part of that shift.

In the video A vision of K-12 students today I was inspired by the facts presented throughout the presentation. "At least once a week, 14% of my teachers let me create something with technology. 63% never do." Oh my goodness, that's terrible!!! Just seeing that should shame teachers into doing something different. Today's students are growing up in a digital world. It is our responsibility to learn to teach them differently.

In the same video, I love when they showed the picture of the written words on paper written over and over and the response, "How will this help me?" I shouted "Amen!" at the screen. I hate worksheets and I don't think they are engaging for students. Now, don't get me wrong, I do realize that they have their place, but that space should be very small and limited.

"Teach me to think" that is exactly what we are responsible for. As educators in the 21st century it is our responsibility to teach our digital natives exactly how to use this new technology as a learning tool.

2 comments:

  1. I love that question too, "How are you going to help my child become literate in the 21st century?" We are helping raise our 2 year old niece and she has her own IPOD, she knows how to play what she wants and how to shut it off. She gets on my sister's computer to "TURN ON" iTunes. I can imagine what things she will know by age 5! It is amazing how much our students know and how we need to "catch up" to technology.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the fact that we have an administrator here in this online course. I'm really going to enjoy hearing you thoughts and ideas on certain topics we will be covering.

    I agree that we as educators need to be doing more with technology in our classrooms. I think part of the issue comes when higher-ups want us to do that as well but don't realize the funding isn't there to support it. Unfortunately, in my opinion, the money is there, it just gets shuffled off to some other area instead of priorities being in order. That isn't meant as disrespect to anyone, just sort of a reality.

    ReplyDelete